Who can attest a passport application?
- Justice of Peace
- An officer of Sri Lanka Administrative Service, Education Administrative Service, Accountant Service, Planning Service OR Engineering Service
- Attorney at Law
- Qualified Medical Practitioner
- A Commissioned officer in Sri Lanka Army/ Navy/Air force or Police
- OIC of the Police Station of the area
- Grama Niladhari / Samurdhi Manager / Social Service Officer of the area
- A Post Master/ A Principal of School/ A Labor Officer
- An Estate Superintendent
- Assistant Controllers, Authorized Officers and Enforcement Officers of the Department of immigration and Emigration
- Chief Incumbent of a religious mission (Temple, Church, Mosque or Kovil)
I have lost my passport. What should I do?
If your passport has been lost or stolen you should immediately report it to the nearest Police Station and forward a copy of the police report to the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration. If applying for a fresh passport, this police report must be submitted along with the application form.
What are the documents required for an application to courier passports?
Duly completed Application Form should be submitted along with the originals and photocopies of the supporting documents specified below:
- A Letter of Agreement from the courier service provider to undertake the safe delivery of the passport to the address specified.
- A letter of request for permission signed by the applicant.
- Supporting documents to prove that sending the passport by courier is truly necessary (A request letter from the representation of the respective country in Sri Lanka)
Can I courier passports to overseas destinations across Sri Lankan borders?
Permission from the Department of Immigration & Emigration is necessary to Courier of Sri Lankan passports to overseas destinations.
Can I extend the validation of my passport from Specified Countries to All Countries?
A passport which is valid only for specified countries (Middle East and South Asia) can be converted into a passport valid for all countries.
How can I extend the validity period of my passport?
Validity period of an M series passport, which is 5 years, can be extended up to another 5 years.
What are documents required to be submitted for a Sri Lankan Passport for a Dual Citizen?
- Completed Application Form
- Dual Citizenship Certificate (A copy of payment receipt for Citizenship Registration may be accepted)
- National Identity Card
- Birth Certificate and/or Driving License
What are the additional documents required to be submitted with the application for a passport for an adopted child?
- Certificate of Adoption
- The court order
- A letter from the Commissioner of Probation and Child Care
- Consent Letter of the parents
The following documents should be submitted under the special circumstances mentioned below:
- If the child is born outside of Sri Lanka, Consular Birth Certificate and Citizenship Registration Certificate for each child (a copy of payment receipt for Citizenship Registration is accepted)
- National Identity Card of spouse if he/she has not obtained a passport. If the spouse is dead the Death Certificate.
- If the parents are divorced, Divorce Certificate and the court order stating the right to the custody of the child/ children.
- If the child has been abandoned by the parents, a certified copy of the police report and a confirmation letter from the Grama Niladhari countersigned by the Divisional Secretary.
What are the documents required to be submitted the application for a Passport for a minor?
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- Parent’s Passport (with photocopies of data page and child page)
- If parents do not have passports submit the National Identity Card with an affidavit
- Consent Letter of the parents
How can a minor apply for Sri Lankan passport?
Any person below 16 years of age is considered as a minor for this purpose. Either the parents or the legal guardian of the applicant should accompany him/ her when the applicant comes to the application accepting office to submit the application. A letter of consent from a parent or the legal guardian should be attached to the application.
What is the duration of validity period of a Non Machine Readable Passport?
An Non Machine Readable Passport or a Temporary Travel Document is valid only for one way travel to Sri Lanka.
What are Non Machine Readable Passports?
These are documents issued to Sri Lankans whose passports have been lost, stolen or expired whilst in a foreign country.
What is an Emergency Certificate?
Emergency Certificate is a travel document issued only for Sri Lankan Buddhist Pilgrims visiting India and Nepal. This document is valid only for two years and can be extended up to additional two year period upon request.
What are the differences of Sri Lankan Passport Valid for Specified Countries?
Sri Lankans who wish to travel to Middle East and some South Asian countries may apply for this passport. This has lesser number of visa pages and the processing fee is lower than that of the All-countries passport.
List of Specified Countries
India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Republic of Maldives, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Sultanate of Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen
Who can apply for official passports?
Official Passports are issued to the following categories of persons:
- Members of Provincial Councils
- Chairpersons of Local Government Bodies
- Officers of All Island Services
- Identified Staff of Members of Parliament
What are Diplomatic Passports?
This passport is issued to VVIPs, Members of Parliament and Persons Posted to prescribed positions at Sri Lankan Overseas Missions. These passports are valid for all countries and the validity period is 10 years unless otherwise specified in the passport.
What are the documents required to be submitted along with the application for a Passport?
- Current passport, if you already have a passport
- Original Birth Certificate of the applicant
- Original National Identity Card of the applicant and a photocopy
- Marriage certificate where necessary (to confirm the name after marriage)
- A letter, professional certificate or license confirming your profession
What are the types of passports?
- A Passport valid for all countries:
- Ordinary passport
- Diplomatic passport
- Official passport
- A Passport valid for Specified Countries in the South Asia and Middle East Countries
- Emergency Certificates for Buddhist Pilgrimage travel to India and Nepal
- Urgent one way temporary travel document issued by Sri Lankan Overseas Missions (Non Machine Readable Passport)
- A Passport valid for all countries:
What is the Validity Period of a Passport
Currently issuing N series passports are valid ten (10) years unless otherwise specified. Emergency Certificates are valid two (02) years and can be extended for further two years.
Am I eligible for a Sri Lankan Passport?
You can obtain a Sri Lankan Passport if you are a Sri Lankan Citizen by descent or by registration.