What are the documents required for Citizenship registration of children born outside Sri Lanka?
- Birth Certificate of the child issued by the country where the birth took place. (If the original Birth Certificate is not in English, an English translation should be attached.)
- Consular Birth Certificate issued by the Registration General Department of Sri Lanka OR a letter issued from the nearest Sri Lankan Mission including following details:
- Name of the child
- Date of birth
- Father's name
- Nationality of father
- Mother's maiden name
- Nationality of mother
- Birth Certificates of parents
- If the applicant (father or mother) is a Sri Lankan citizen by registration, the relevant certificate
- Marriage Certificate of parents
- Travel Documents and Visas held by parents to prove residence abroad at the time of the child's birth
- Declaration that the applicant (father/ mother) has not acquired citizenship of a country other than Sri Lanka at the time of the child's birth
What will happen if I fail to register the birth of my child within one year?
Citizenship registration of children born outside Sri Lanka
What are the documents required to be submitted with the Citizenship application for Foreign Spouses?
Am I qualified to apply for Sri Lankan Citizenship as s Foreign Spouses of Sri Lankan?
What are the documents required to be submitted with the Dual Citizenship application?
- Original Birth Certificate of the Applicant
- If the applicant is a citizen of Sri Lanka by registration, the relevant certificate.
- If the applicant is married, the Marriage Certificate
- Foreign Citizenship Certificate, Foreign Travel Document or Permanent Residence Visa of the Applicant
- Applicant’s most recent Sri Lankan passport, previous Sri Lankan Passports (if any) or an affidavit stating non-availability of a Sri Lankan Passport
- Additional compulsory documents required under respective qualifying category
Can the family members of the main Dual Citizenship applicant apply too?
What is the List of Countries where Sri Lankan Dual Citizenship is accepted?
Who can apply For Sri Lankan Dual Citizenship?
Who can request for renunciation of Sri Lankan Citizenship?
How can I apply for resumption of Sri Lankan citizenship?
How can I apply for retention of Sri Lankan citizenship?
What is Dual Citizenship?
Under usual circumstances, when a Sri Lankan acquires the citizenship of another country, he/ she automatically loses his/ her Sri Lankan citizenship. However it is possible for an individual to:
- Retain Sri Lankan citizenship when acquiring the citizenship of a foreign country. This is called ‘Retention of Citizenship’.
- Resume Sri Lankan citizenship at a later point of time; after losing it when acquiring the citizenship of a foreign country. This is called ‘Resumption of Citizenship’.
An individual who has citizenship in both Sri Lanka and a foreign country is considered a dual citizen of Sri Lanka.