New Guidelines for Lost / Stolen Passports with effect from 1st of August 2012
If your passport is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the holder to inform the concerned authorities immediately. Failure to do so may result in your lost passport being used for illegal activities and you may be liable for aiding and abetting an offence.
Steps to follow
- Download a stolen or lost passport complaint from by visiting www.immigration.gov.lk.
- Make a compliant to your local police station in the country of residence and obtain a police report as soon as possible.
- Submit the dully filled application form together with police report to the nearest Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission or Consulate.
- Passport reported lost or stolen can no longer be used for travel. The details of cancellation will be automatically shared worldwide through INTERPOL to avoid misuse. Never use the lost passport again. You are strongly advised to obtain a new passport immediately to avoid inconvenience.
If you find another person’s lost Sri Lankan passport, please mail it in sturdy envelope to the address below;
Lost/stolen passport Desk
Department of immigration and Emigration
No: 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha
- Never use a Passport reported stolen or lost
- Passsport reported stolen or lost are invalid and can .no longer be used for travel.
- The information you provide regarding a stolen or Lost Passport will be entered in our stolen / Lost passport syatem and automatically shared internationally through INTERPOL
- if you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen,please submit it to the address listed above.when you submit it, if requested - we will cancel it and return it to you,if not requested, it will be destroyed.
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen , it cannot be re-validated.
Guidelines on the application for a replacement passport
- Applications must be submitted in duplicate and the address in the UAE and telephone number should be clearly stated.
- Please refer to Consular Fees section for relevant fee for obtaining a new passport in lieu of a lost passport.
- Fee shall be paid by cash and please note that cheques will not be accepted.
- All other information should be furnished as required in the application Form “K”.
Important: Please note that: