Please read all the instructions carefully before filling the applications.
- New passports can be obtained for newborn children in the UAE or for minors already included in parent’s passports.
- Application forms for new Sri Lankan passports are available in the Downloads section of this website. Alternatively, you may obtain the application from the Consulate by visiting the place.
- Passports are issued for a 10 years period. When this period of validity expires, a new passport has to be obtained.
- Please refer to Consular Fees section for relevant fees for obtaining a new passport.
- Fees shall be paid by cash and please note that cheques will not be accepted.
All applications for new passports have to be forwarded to the Controller, Immigration & Emigration, the only authority responsible for issuing passports, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka. This process may take approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
Guidelines on the application for a new passport for a minor
- An application for a Sri Lankan passport should be made on Form “K”. It should be filled preferably in BLOCK LETTERS to assist the Consulate to expedite the issuance of the passport.
- Applications must be submitted in duplicate and the address in the UAE and telephone number should be clearly stated.
- When applying for a new passport for a minor, please ensure that the following documents are enclosed:
- Form “K” (in duplicate)
- Three passport size colour photographs which were taken within the last 3 months, straight forward with open ears and forehead and with a clear background.
- Original Sri Lanka Birth Certificate of the child with a photocopy.
- Original Citizenship Certificate if the child born outside Sri Lanka with a photocopy. In case Citizenship Certificate not available, Copy of the receipt of payment for citizenship registration is also acceptable.
- Original Marriage Certificate of the parents with a photocopy.
- Parents' original passports with photocopies of each photo page, visa page, children inclusion page and other relevant alteration pages, if any.
- Consent letter (no objection letter) signed by both parents.
- If the spouse is a foreign national, his/her consent letter should be attested by the relevant Embassy/ Consulate in the UAE, confirming that the child has not been issued with that country’s passport.
- Minor children (children below the age of 16) can be included in one of the parent’s passport only at the time a parent apply for a new passport and there is no extra charges for this.
- Child should be presented when submitting the application and both parents should come along with the child to submit the application.
- If the parents are divorced, original Divorce Certificate and the court order for the child’s custody with a photocopy should be submitted.
- If a spouse is deceased, the original Death Certificate with a photocopy should be submitted.
- If the child could not sign, either father or mother can sign behalf of the child and the signature should be placed in the presence of an authorized officer.
- Completed photo signature card on form IM35 (B) with two colour photographs glued to the application and an extra photograph should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
- All other information should be furnished as required in the application Form “K”.
- All original documents will be returned after perusal.
- Applicant shall come in person to the Consulate to collect the passport. If the applicant is unable to come, he/she may authorize another person in writing and that person should be able to produce his/her identity with the original payment receipt at the time of collection.
Important: Please note that: