Please read all the instructions carefully before filling the applications.
- New passports can be obtained in lieu of 10 years completed passport, or if you wish to change the photograph/ signature of the existing passport, or if pages of the existing passport are exhausted.
- A new series of machine readable passports with facility for the digital transfer of photograph and signature of the holder to prevent photograph substitution was introduced, by the Controller of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo from 02 September 1996.
- Application forms for new Sri Lankan passports are available in the Downloads section of this website. Alternatively, you may obtain the application from the Consulate by visiting the place.
- Passports are issued for a 10 years period. When this period of validity expires, a new passport has to be obtained.
- When an application for a new passport is submitted, the previous passport should be furnished along with the passport application. If the expired passport is N or M series and renewal of the passport was overdue, an additional late renewal fee per year from the date of expiry of the validity of the passport will be charged.
- Please refer to Consular Fees section for relevant fees for obtaining a new passport.
- Fees shall be paid by cash and please note that cheques will not be accepted.
All applications for new passports have to be forwarded to the Controller, Immigration & Emigration, the only authority responsible for issuing passports, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka. This process may take approximately 8 to 12 weeks.
Guidelines on the application for a new passport
- An application for a Sri Lankan passport should be made on Form “K”. It should be filled preferably in BLOCK LETTERS to assist the Consulate to expedite the issuance of the passport.
- Applications must be submitted in duplicate and the address in the UAE and telephone number should be clearly stated.
- When applying for a new passport, please ensure that the following documents are enclosed:
- Form “K” (in duplicate)
- Original present Sri Lankan Passport with photocopies of the data page and alteration pages if any alterations were made.
- Three passport size colour photographs which were taken within the last 3 months, straight forward with open ears and forehead and with a clear background.
- Original Marriage Certificate/ Divorce certificate, if applicable, with a photocopy of the name change of a female applicant after marriage or divorce, if applicable.
- A letter issued by the working place or original academic/ professional certificates which were attested by the respective authorities where applicable, with a photocopy to amend the profession in the passport.
- Application for addition/deletion of children’s names where necessary. (Form IM 35C)
- Birth Certificate (original is required)
- National Identity Card (original is required)
- Applicant shall come in person to the Consulate to submit the application for a new passport.
- The certificate regarding the applicant on page 2 as well as the photo signature card (Form IM35 -B) will be done by this Consulate.
- The signature of the applicant should be placed in the presence of an authorized officer.
- Completed photo signature card on form IM35 (B) with two colour photographs glued to the application and an extra photograph should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
- Children who are below 16 years of age will be included in either the father’s or the mother’s passport if a request is made to this effect. The names of children that already appear in the passport of one parent may be deleted and included in the passport of the other parent if so required. Please see separate note on Addition/ Deletion of Names of Children.
- Alternatively, the children below 16 years of age and whose births have been registered with the Consulate can apply for a separate passport.
- All other information should be furnished as required in the application Form “K”.
- All original documents will be returned after perusal.
- Applicant shall come in person to the Consulate to collect the passport. If the applicant is unable to come, he/she may authorize another person in writing and that person should be able to produce his/her identity with the original payment receipt at the time of collection.
Important: Please note that: