Please read all the instructions carefully before filling the applications.
Guidelines on the application for registration of birth
- Birth of a child who was born to Sri Lankan parents residing in Dubai or one of the other northern Emirates, should be registered within one year of birth, with this Consulate for their Sri Lankan Citizenship.
- Children who were born in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain should be registered with the Sri Lanka Embassy in Abu Dhabi.
- An application for registration of a birth must be made within 03 months of the birth. If the application is made after 03 months, the reason for the delay should be given in writing when making the application.
- The father or mother of the child should be a citizen of Sri Lanka at the time of birth.
- The father or mother of the child may make the application in person for registration of birth which should be made in duplicate.
- The child will be issued with the following certificates:
- Sri Lanka Citizenship Certificate
- Sri Lanka Birth Certificate
- To register the birth of a child born to Sri Lankan Nationals, the following forms must be submitted.
- Application for Registration of a Birth outside Sri Lanka Citizenship 1 Form.
- Declaration of Birth under Section 16 of the Birth and Death Registration Act. (if within 03 months). Registration B-4 Form.
- After three months Declaration of Birth Under Section 24. Registration B-6 Form.
- Declaration of Citizenship of the father as per specimen attached.
- These forms should be submitted along with the originals of the following documents together with two sets of copies.
- English translation of the child’s UAE Birth Certificate which is attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UAE.
- Original Marriage Certificate of the parents (translations are not acceptable).
- Parents' original Birth Certificates (translations are not acceptable).
- Parents' original passports, which were valid as at date of birth of the child, with two photocopies of each photo page, visa page and other relevant alteration pages.
- Reason for delay if applications are submitted after three months from the date of birth of the child
- All applications and declarations should be filled by one and same applicant (either father or mother).
- No need to produce the child when submitting the applications.
- If any of the above mentioned supporting documents are in other foreign language, English translation should be submitted with the duly attested original.
- A Sri Lankan Birth Certificate for the child will be issued by this Consulate approximately in two weeks time.
- If the applications are submitted after one year from the date of birth of the child, Registrar General’s approval required to issue the Birth certificate and it will take around 5 months time to issue the Birth Certificate.
- Citizenship Certificate will be issued by the Citizenship Department in Colombo at a later date. Payment receipt shall be kept for reference.
- All original documents will be returned after perusal.
- Applicant shall come in person to the Consulate to collect the Certificates. If the applicant is unable to come, he/she may authorize another person in writing and he/she should be able to produce his/her identity with the original payment receipt at the time of collection.
- You can obtain extra copies of the birth certificate from Central Record Room in Colombo. The address is:
Registrar General’s Department
Central Record Room
Maligawatta, Colombo 10.
- Citizenship Certificate will only be issued in one original. You cannot obtain copies in case of lost of the original. Instead a confirmation letter (a letter confirming the details in the original) will be issued.
- Please refer to Consular Fees section for relevant fee for the registration of a birth.
- Fee shall be paid by cash and please note that cheques will not be accepted.
- All other information should be furnished as required in the application form.
Important: Please note that: